Tuesday 27 November 2012

ABC RESPONSE SEQUESTERED


######################################################

######################################################
ABC
General Manager 
Mark Scott
27 Nov 2012

Dear Mr Scott
 I understand many Jewish organizations have been complaining about Emma Alberichi and her pathetic no need to ask questions modus when Jews are attacked style.

I refer in my links herein to her cloying interview with the lamentable Geoffrey Robertson whom Ms A held in such sycophantic esteem that she did not mind humiliating herself with said cloying interview. Anti - Israel bias was taken to new heights.

You need to check the DVD: Emma is obviously very close to Robertson: too close. It was a pathetic performance - and she should have left Robertson to deliver a soliloquy. I guess she was present to merely ensure that the ponderous GR would eventually finish.

A critical analysis of what was allowed to pass unsequestered by a non - journalist.

I make a similar reference to the outrageous interview of that professor from the world's leading fellow of Jihad study Professor Rami Khouri of Beirut University.

You have heard from Beirut University?
They are reputed to be in the top 10,0000 Universities.
I guess that explains EA's refusal to engage with the man: even if Emma's lame non - journalistic style was not because she had the 'hots' for him.
Oh no!

EA absented herself even if she allegedly parried the interview with such flair and verve because it was because Jews  / Israel were more explicitly lied about!!

She did not want to be accused of bias by holding him to account in any way. Such a lovely interview: it will remain a lesson in media spin that I can tell my grandchildren about!

I now advise you that I refuse to accept your Management's response to my original complaint late on Friday Nov 23 2012

You are respectfully requested that I am not tolerant of that garbage of a response, ESPECIALLY AS EMMA A DEMONSTRATED SHE COULD CARRY AN  INTERVIEW WHEN HER ANTI - JEWISH / ISRAEL / ABC IN HOUSE BIAS WAS NOT INVOLVED!
SEE BELOW MY DETAIL OF LAST NIGHTS LATELINE!

LO!

THE GIRL [sexism, misogyny?] ASKED SOME EXCELLENT QUESTIONS WHEN IT WAS POLITICALLY APPROPRIATE TO DO SO!!!

LOOK AT WHAT SHE DID TO THAT POOR MAN WHO HAS SPENT HIS LIFE PROTECTING 'CHURCHLY' PAEDOPHILES!! 

Mind you - she needed to read all her questions closely from the script prepared for her - so it is not as if Emma has - or ever had an over - abundance of talent. 
To wit - she spent 90% of her on - camera time looking DOWN  at the reasonably straight - forward material which she plainly barely mastered.

I refuse to play the ABC's game - as set out in my original complaint.
It accurately pre empted the response frm your formulaic pen pushers.


  1. You are required to advise me why your outrageous policy of 'balance over time' did not come into play with the latest Catholic Church interview: THEY HAVE ALL BEEN ANTI CATHOLIC!!
  2. Why use this policy only when it comes to Israel and JEWS?
  3. Do we expect to have an interview with the KKK  / CEC postulating that Hitler did not kill enough JEWS? And balance with say an item about life for Jews in GAZA? THE EVILS OF THE UNILATERAL WITHDRAWAL IN 2005? A conspiracy story about Sharon still being active and is merely hiding to hide his extrmist views?
  4. You may like to view my award winning mini letter as per link. It was prescient, non?
  5. You are kindly requested to respond MEANINGFULLY TO MY ORIGINAL COMPLAINT!

I now advise you: I expect. with respect a viable answer and an apology which should settle matters for me.
If you do not respond sui generis - or find some non - ethereal codswallop in a viable response, I will consider my options.
Another thing Mr Scott  Your appendage the ACMA are yet to prove that they are anything but handmaidens of the Government / ABC. Au contraire.

Today my correspondences are lodged on my blog: a permanent record.
You ignore me at the peril.


Geoff Seidner 
East St Kilda 3183

############################################################################################################

MY Links:


###########################################################################################################


My best letter? ex 2005 published in the AJN

http://mediaspinners.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/my-best-letter-ex-2005-published-in-ajn.html




Rami Khouri Interview in Beirut

RAMI KHOURI INTERVIEW IN BEIRUT

Interview with Rami Khouri from the American University of Beirut.

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2012/s3641458.htm


###########################################################
#########################################################
Patrician Head discusses convicted brother

Patrician Head discusses convicted brother

Brother Philip Mulhall, the Head of the Patrician Order in Australia and PNG, answers questions about the brother who has returned to the Order after serving time in jail for molestations and buggery.



Patrician Head discusses convicted brother


Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Broadcast: 26/11/2012
Reporter: Emma Alberici
Brother Philip Mulhall, the Head of the Patrician Order in Australia and PNG, answers questions about the brother who has returned to the Order after serving time in jail for molestations and buggery.

Transcript

EMMA ALBERICI, PRESENTER: To discuss this story I was joined a short time ago by the head of the Patrician Order in Australia and Papua New Guinea, Brother Philip Mulhall. 

Until recently he was also the executive officer for national standards around dealing with child sex abuse claims for the entire Catholic Church in Australia. 

Brother Philip Mulhall, thanks very much for coming in.

PHILIP MULHALL, HEAD OF PATRICIAN ORDER: Thanks, Emma.

EMMA ALBERICI: Can I start by asking you: what qualifies Thomas Grealy to be considered a Patrician treasure?

PHILIP MULHALL: Yes. Can I say something about that? Putting that in one of our newsletters is a dreadful, sad mistake on our part, really. Number one, it's not the reality, but number two, the contributor who did that should not have put that in and I should've picked it up, to be honest. And I can understand how victims feel about that. I know how they feel about it: affronted, confronted, injured, hurt - all those things - and angry. And I'd apologise to them. I'm shattered by that, to tell you the truth. And it's something I should've picked up and it doesn't represent the reality of what it is. People say things like that, but, you know ...

EMMA ALBERICI: Who says things like that? That he's a treasure.

PHILIP MULHALL: People that don't understand terribly well and are used to using hyperbolic terms and that sort of thing.

EMMA ALBERICI: Well you are the head of ...

PHILIP MULHALL: Exactly.

EMMA ALBERICI: ... the Patrician Brothers in Australia. You lead from the top, don't you?

PHILIP MULHALL: I hope I do. In this one, I should've picked that up and ...

EMMA ALBERICI: It's not just about picking up what was written in a newsletter; it's about picking up a sentiment and creating an environment that doesn't tolerate the return of paedophiles and the feting of paedophiles.

PHILIP MULHALL: The, um - all I can say, Emma, is not just the writing of that, it's the person who contributed that feels that way, then I have an education problem and there may be a couple of people who do feel that way. And I may - I have an education problem in doing that. 

But the reality on the ground is that, for example, in 2010 the classmates of Tom Grealy celebrated their 60th jubilees and he didn't. He didn't join that. So, you know, that was obvious, that - the attitude to that then.

EMMA ALBERICI: But why did the Patrician Brothers invite Brother Grealy back into the order?

PHILIP MULHALL: The policy at the time that he came out was like this: um, he's our member, he's our problem and we have a responsibility to see that he's not a problem for other people. And in religious communities, you have a little more ability to do that because you've got other people present. 

Now that was the rationale. That was why people decided. He wasn't even brought back into the order; he had never left it, really. He was in jail as a Patrician Brother. Everybody knew that. And it was great shame for everyone, a shame for us. 

But people said, "He's our problem, he's our member and we need to take some responsibility for seeing that he's not a problem for other people." Now that was the rationale. But as I say, that sort of stuff, we're in a pretty new age really in many ways and new awarenesses and understandings. I think that's got to be re-examined.

EMMA ALBERICI: In sentencing Brother Thomas Grealy, Judge Jack O'Reilly said Thomas Grealy had brought great shame on himself, his family and his religious order and caused lasting damage to his victims. It's also understood that some boys in Thomas Grealy's class from the 1970s have since committed suicide. In what circumstances do you actually forfeit your rights to protection and support by the Catholic Church?

PHILIP MULHALL: Are we looking particularly, like, at Thom here, for example?

EMMA ALBERICI: Well, that as an example.

PHILIP MULHALL: That's the example.

EMMA ALBERICI: If we take that as the worst possible crime ...

PHILIP MULHALL: Yes, I see what you mean, yes. Yes, I understand.

EMMA ALBERICI: ... that some people think can be committed, in what circumstance does the Catholic Church abandon someone?

PHILIP MULHALL: And I couldn't answer for the Catholic Church generally, but ...

EMMA ALBERICI: Well what do you think?

PHILIP MULHALL: ... I'll answer for my own group. I think it was the correct decision at that time, but I think now that we need to look at what replaces that in the future.

EMMA ALBERICI: What made it the right decision then and perhaps not now?

PHILIP MULHALL: Um, I think awarenesses, understandings have changed. I do think that the understanding of the effectiveness of monitoring and supervision, I think that's much better understood now than it was. As indeed were things like psychological treatment and things like that, which people thought back some years ago, they thought were probably effective. And I think that people now will often say that many of those treatments - and that's not just in Church circles, that's generally in the area of child abuse.

EMMA ALBERICI: He was known as Brother Augustine when he carried out his crimes.

PHILIP MULHALL: He was.

EMMA ALBERICI: Why was his name changed when he was released from jail and brought back into the order?

PHILIP MULHALL: To be honest, I don't know that. I was out of the country at the time. I was working overseas at that time. And I'm not sure what the rationale was for doing that. He probably had his own private reasons for doing that.

EMMA ALBERICI: Couldn't one of the reasons have been that the order and of course himself didn't want to be recognised as the paedophile who went into jail?

PHILIP MULHALL: That certainly is a possibility.

EMMA ALBERICI: We understand that the Patrician Brothers have been in a court battle, a civil court battle with five of Thomas Grealy's alleged victims.

PHILIP MULHALL: That class. Correct.

EMMA ALBERICI: Can you tell us why you have dragged these five victims through the courts to even just establish whether it's yourselves or the Sydney Diocese who are responsible here?

PHILIP MULHALL: I would like to talk to that. And I don't think of this as a court battle. 

And I need to say this to you very honestly: I hate the fact that this has gone on. I really do. There's five people out there who have been hanging for so long. We have never raised any defence of not being able to be sued and we won't. We will not plead this at all. 

What happened was that in earlier hearings about this - and they were very - quite early hearings, really, just sort of preliminary stuff that people do to get these things underway. The Archdiocese of Sydney asked to be not - to be taken off as - I don't know the correct legal terms - but to be taken off as a defendant and they pleaded certain legal arguments.

EMMA ALBERICI: So basically the Patrician Brothers will pay the compensation, they will be liable?

PHILIP MULHALL: Oh, yes, we have - nowhere from the start have we disputed any of this. We've just gone through the procedural stuff. And we've been waiting until - mediation I believe is supposed to take place in February and I'm so glad that it is in February. But it's much too late, much later than it should be. But we have never pleaded those ...

EMMA ALBERICI: It's 40 years too late, really, isn't it?

PHILIP MULHALL: Ohh, I know that. That I know, yeah.

EMMA ALBERICI: Let's move on. Brother Phillip, until recently, very recently you were in fact the executive officer of the Catholic Church's National Committee for Professional Standards ...

PHILIP MULHALL: That's correct.

EMMA ALBERICI: ... in dealing Australia-wide with governing the Towards Healing process ...

PHILIP MULHALL: That's correct.

EMMA ALBERICI: ... which is supposed to help ...

PHILIP MULHALL: That's right.

EMMA ALBERICI: ... sex abuse victims.

PHILIP MULHALL: Mhmm.

EMMA ALBERICI: Not just for the Patricians, ...

PHILIP MULHALL: No, no, no. That's right.

EMMA ALBERICI: ... but for the entire Catholic Church in Australia. Can you say you've always put the interests of children above the welfare of the Patrician Brothers and other parts of the Catholic Church?

PHILIP MULHALL: I think that I have placed the needs of victims in particular ahead of Church personnel. And that includes my own members.

EMMA ALBERICI: You had your photo taken for instance in the same shot with Thomas Grealy, ...

PHILIP MULHALL: Yes, I ...

EMMA ALBERICI: ... knowing the effect that might have on victims as the head not only of the Patricians in Australia, but one of the most senior figures in the Catholic Church in Australia, standing alongside a convicted paedophile. What message does that send?

PHILIP MULHALL: I'll take - I'll accept criticism of that. Sometimes when you have a gathering, gatherings can be for all sorts of things, for meetings and stuff like that, someone says go and stand over there and we'll take a picture. And sometimes you don't think about it. 

I don't stand in solidarity with Tom Grealy at all. And I - I know it's easy to say it, but I am genuinely concerned for his victims and I'm very concerned for these five victims that have been waiting so long. I would love to have been able to have even some contact with some of them and just say what I felt about it. As I have done in other cases which didn't go into that adversarial mode, but were dealt with in other ways. And I've been happy to talk with lots of victims and talk with them many, many times if they wanted to do that.

EMMA ALBERICI: Now we know another Patrician Brother has been charged with child sexual abuse at the Patrician Brothers College at Blacktown.

PHILIP MULHALL: Correct.

EMMA ALBERICI: When did you become aware of those allegations?

PHILIP MULHALL: I heard about this in - about a month before Christmas last year - let's say November.

EMMA ALBERICI: So a year ago?

PHILIP MULHALL: A year ago, yes.

EMMA ALBERICI: So can you tell us why it took a full two months before that brother was removed then from the school?

PHILIP MULHALL: Um, I don't know why it took that long. I do understand that what I heard was not very much information. And the information which I heard I took to the child protection officer at Parramatta. That's the correct line of reporting in a thing like this, an active member serving there. 

The school is not our school. The school is a system Catholic school. And I took those straightaway there. And then action was taken to start an investigation. To be honest, I don't think at that stage there was anything terribly definite, but then things must've become clearer subsequently. I was no longer involved in the investigation directly myself, except to be updated every so often as to say we're still investigating this matter.

EMMA ALBERICI: If it was still being investigated - pardon me for interrupting, but if it was still being investigated, was it appropriate then for this brother to be featured in promotional videos for the Patrician Brothers as recently as February, a month after he was dismissed from the school?

PHILIP MULHALL: This is something which happened internally there, I understand that.

EMMA ALBERICI: Again, you are the head of the Patrician Brothers in Australia. You should have oversight, I'm assuming ...

PHILIP MULHALL: No, I don't have oversight on what the school does as promotional videos. That's quite independent ...

EMMA ALBERICI: No, no, no, the promotional video I'm referring to is a promotional video for the entire Patrician order.

PHILIP MULHALL: Ohhh, I see, yes. Yes, I understand. Um, yes. I think these are videos that had been made some time before, to tell you the truth. They're old footage and stuff like that. I don't mean to excuse them. They're old footage.

EMMA ALBERICI: What do you hope emerges from the Royal commission? What is the single most important thing you hope it achieves?

PHILIP MULHALL: Maybe not the single most important thing - I think a whole range of things will emerge from it. I think there needs to be very good scrutiny of the way abuse issues have been handled in the Church generally, including my own congregation. I hope that the commission will go through maybe not looking so much for targets, but looking for how people handle this sort of stuff, how it was dealt with and were there lots of mistakes in that or were there some mistakes in that? What can be learnt from that? 

A look at also the present period of time - how are those things done now? And how do they stand up against best practice anywhere in the world? And what lessons are to be learnt from that? And what things can be put in place for the future so that it can be a whole lot better than it was in times gone by? 

I really want - and I'm very open to this Royal commission. And I certainly will cooperate with it completely. And even if that means criticism of myself or criticism of my colleagues or criticism of people that I know, so that something really good can be learnt for the future.

EMMA ALBERICI: The bishops' conference today was talking about whether George Pell was the best spokesman for the Church nationally in Australia and whether the lines of responsibility were clear in this country. Is there a problem with that?

PHILIP MULHALL: Well I think the spokesman for the Church for bishops' conference is now Bishop Hart, as I understand it. I think what's occurred here is that Bishop Pell, he's a very prominent person. 

He's a - call it a regal-looking person, and he's got a particular way of speaking, and of course he's a cardinal also. And so people I think go to him to talk about him as most senior figure in the Church. I've heard Bishop Hart speak - be interviewed a couple of times and he came across fairly well to me, even though I don't know him terribly well.

EMMA ALBERICI: And there was only one other issue I wanted to ask you and that was whether you've had cause to reflect on why members of the Catholic Church are so disproportionally represented in issues of child sexual abuse? The Victorian inquiry heard that they're six times more likely to offend than all other clergy put together.

PHILIP MULHALL: Well I have my own theories about child abuse in people who join the clergy and religious life. They take a fair while to go through. Many of them are to do with immature ages of entry. 

The lack of opportunity to have a normal adolescence - a lot of people join very, very young and to experience a whole lot of stuff that kids normally experience. And I think that's there somewhere in the equation. And I have other theories about it too, but they're things that would take me quite some time to work through. And I think there is a need for a very, very serious study here.

EMMA ALBERICI: Brother Philip Mulhall, thanks so much for coming in tonight.

PHILIP MULHALL: Thanks, Emma. It was a pleasure.


Do you have a comment or a story idea? Get in touch with the Lateline team by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment